Gay-Kimball Library Assistant Job Description
Duties and Responsibilities: The following functions are considered essential to this position, but are not intended to be all-inclusive. Other library-related projects and duties will be assigned as needed.
- Acting Person in Charge in the Library Director’s absence.
- Responsible for the day-to-day functions of the Circulation Desk including working directly with the public when taking or returning materials, checking library materials in and out, calling daily overdues, updating patron account information, troubleshooting patron concerns or questions, managing payments from the public, and answering the telephone.
- Inspect incoming and outgoing library materials for damage and missing parts. Communicate with borrowers and/or other libraries regarding replacement costs. Partners as needed with Library Director to make final determination about replacement.
- Register and orient new borrowers
- Provide reader’s advisory and reference services to the public or direct to another staff person as needed.
- Responsible for the library’s interlibrary loan service and all tasks associated with that service
- Accurately and efficiently search a variety of online catalogs and databases for the location of materials requested by library patrons.
- Assist patrons with equipment such as computers, automated catalog, photocopier and scanner
- Promotes library activities and programs to the public in person, electronically and in written format.
- Enforce library policies in an equitable manner
- Interpret library policies and procedures and explains to the public.
- Open and close the Library according to the established procedures.
- Catalog and process materials
- Shelve materials as needed and as time permits; maintain integrity of collection by reading shelves
- Communicate any pertinent event, messages or actions to other staff members
- High school/GED required, some college coursework preferred
- Library experience preferred
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Computer literacy expected including but not limited to Internet apps, MS Office Products and the ability to troubleshoot
- Sound judgment, initiative, tact and courtesy, attention to detail, and organized
- Ability to work cooperatively and patiently with staff and library users; strong communication skills required
- Available to work position’s schedule
- Ability to lift boxes and books and push book carts weighing upwards of 50 pounds
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, bend and reach
Gay-Kimball Library · Post Office Box 837 · Troy, NH 03465
10 South Main Street · (603) 242-7743 · email@example.com