April/May 2014 Trustee Minutes
Board of Trustees Meeting
April 30, 2014
Members Present: Yvonne Peters, Allan Bailey, Charleen Hoefsmit Also: Catherine Callegari – Librarian
Treasurer’s Report: Checking – $7,426, Fines – $188, Memorial Fund – $68, Petty Cash – $353
Grand Total: $8,035
Librarian’s Report: Door Count: 1,160, Circulation: 1,830, Computer Usage: 82, New Patrons: 9
- The financial update finds us 19% over budget on our heating oil line item due to the “capping-off” of both heating-fuel tanks.
- More books than expected (84) were received from the Libri Foundation Grant. We received 18 extra math and science books. Photos of the books have been posted on Facebook for a sneak peek they should be ready for check out mid-May
- Topics discussed during Catherine’s visit to the Public Library Association’s seminar in March included Passive Programming and Dewey-less Libraries.
- Catherine received a grant to cover the cost of attending the SLJ Day of Dialog, including travel costs.
- Catherine presented at the at the NHLA Conference on 4/24. She co-moderated a roundtable discussion on Koha and was a panel member on a program about getting kids into the library.
- Author Richard Rubin’s visit was a success. Chairs were added to accommodate the many attendees, who were pleasantly entertained.
- Lunch at the Library event went very well this year -Cost to the library – $6.
- The Memo of Understanding from the Selectmen confirmed the $1,000 appropriation already received by the library and the plan to allot the remaining $1,000 on July 1st. Also received was the draft of the Safety Manual for the Town of Troy. Catherine and Allan will review the contents.
- The Grant from KBA contributed $250 to the cost of bringing the Critters and Creatures Program to us this summer. (Tarantulas in Troy!)
- We also received seven cases of free books from First Books which are scheduled to be used as give-aways for the Summer Reading Program.
- The Book Sale will take place in May. Charleen and Allan will share cashiering duties Saturday 5/24.
- The library Trustees voted to hire new custodian, Crystal Hastings who will begin her duties on 5/5.
- It was voted to shorten and amend Section V (General Conditions of Employment) of the Personnel Policy to read “at- will employees” vs. reference to a “probation period”.
- Catherine received cards from the Girl Scouts to say “Thank You” for the sleep over at the library.
The meeting was adjourned @ 7:00 p.m. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, June 4th @ 6:00 p.m.